[NMC PRObE] Request for PRObE references & Update

Andree Jacobson andree at newmexicoconsortium.org
Wed Apr 30 20:15:51 MDT 2014

Dear PRObE users of Kodiak, Marmot, and Susitna!

It's that time of the year again - The time when we ask you to let us know
how you've been using PRObE! Also, this is your chance to tell us how to
destructively test Kodiak (more on this toward the end).

First, we would like to thank all of you who diligently show up to our BoFs
at various conferences around the country. It's your participation, use of
the PRObE resources, and feedback through public forums and support request
emails that makes PRObE what it is and what it will become. Thank you!

To help us continue to offer new resources, we would appreciate your
assistance with the following:

  1) Please send a list of any publications, posters, presentations, or
other work (web pages, code repos, etc...) that was based on the use of
PRObE resources to probe at newmexicoconsortium.org. Our current list is here:
http://www.nmc-probe.org/research/publications. We ask for your help to
make it as complete as possible.

  2) Some of the pioneer PRObE projects have their own wiki page and we
invite you to create your own for your project to share with the community
and elaborate on how PRObE is a resource for you. The wiki is located at:
https://www.nmc-probe.org/wiki/Projects and you can use your Kodiak
credentials to log in to edit the wiki and create your own page. Should you
need assistance, please let us know, we're happy to help you create the
wiki page. If needed, please send an email to help at nmc-probe.org with the
name of your project and a request for a wiki page creation.

Your assistance with the above two requests is greatly appreciated and will
help us plan for the future.

Speaking about the future... You may have noticed that the Kodiak node
count is on a decline. This is because machines are starting to fail after
almost two years of use in PRObE. The good news is that we are building two
new machines to replace Kodiak. "Nome" will have 512x 16-core nodes, 32GB
RAM/node with DDR infiniband and dual Ethernets. Nanek, will have 1176x
4-core nodes, 16GB RAM/node and two Ethernet networks. We're hoping to have
a majority of the nodes in both machines available by the end of the
summer, but nodes might start to be available for testing earlier. We will
keep you up to date!

Now for the fun part!

Since we need the space that Kodiak is currently occupying for the new
machine, Kodiak will need to be decommissioned. As part of our promise to
the community, we will soon be soliciting ideas for how to destructively
test Kodiak and how to get useful information out of the experiment. The
best proposal will win, and will get dedicated time before we shut the
system down for good. Perhaps we should wrap the racks in plastic wrap and
see what happens when they overheat? We'll soon put out an official request
for proposals but wanted to give you something to think about and look
forward to!

Thank you for your time and attention. We look forward to hearing from you
with your updates!

Sincerely,

*Andree Jacobson*
Computer and Information Systems Manager
PRObE Project Manager

New Mexico Consortium
4200 W Jemez Rd, Ste. 301
Los Alamos, NM 87544

*Phone:* (505) 412-4180, *Fax:* (505) 212-0049
*Email:* andree at newmexicoconsortium.org